Sunday, July 24, 2005

Myron Floren

2:23 PM by Nicky Vegas

Myron Floren died last night. We're all gonna miss ol' Myron.

Lance & I had a gig working Polkapalooza in Milwaukee some time back. No biggie.




Myron was the headliner which pissed us off something fierce. Lance was singing and I was there to spin some plates. We were also given an extra 10 bucks to keep Floren and Vlasta the Polka Queen away from each other. Apparently there was some bad history between those two. Something about gambling debts or whatever. All I know is that you should NEVER stiff an accordion player any cash. They're bloodthirsty bastards when it comes to the moolah!

Anyway, Lance had the dubious distinction of going on right before Myron and chose to do a rousing version of his classic song, "Welkie" (a parody of "Mickey"). Floren took offense to the line, "Oh Welkie, what a pity I don't understand how your show survived with Floren & his band." Freakin' primadonna!

Myron burst onto the stage and jerked the microphone out of Lance's hand. He stiff-armed Lance off the stage and screamed, "You Vegas Brothers will never work again! After I get through with you, you'll be lucky to work between strippers at Beansnappers! Do you know who I am? I'm Myron @#&$in Floren, by GOD!"

We got him back though. After the show we snuck back into the theatre and put about 5 cans of sneezing & itching powder into the bellows of his accordion. The next day, nearly 15,000 people, including Floren, had to be rushed to the hospital. It was a real tragedy, seeing that many people turn out for a polka festival. To this day people still get sick when they hear polka music.

As a side note, The Vegas Brothers did in fact get to work "between strippers" at Beansnappers. Let me say, as Myron said, we were in fact VERY LUCKY!

Rest in Peace, dear friend. You were loved by millions!

Comments (2)

  1. I can't play the accordion for the same reason(s) I can't play cymbals.

  2. Hiya Nicky Boy. How you doing? I remember ole Myron from the Lawrence Welk show when I was a bit younger. Used to watch it all the time.

    Rest in peace Myron.

Post a Comment

<< Home